Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

PCOS + Getting rid of it.

I've been doing a bit of research recently on PCOS. I have it now and I suspect I've had it since I was 15 years old as I have the same symptoms now as I did then. I'm 32 now and sick and tired of the side effects of having this annoying condition. I won't go into detail. It's too much information..

Many, many times I've been to the doctor and the gyno however almost always they prescribe a light version of the pill. This has never really sat well with me as I dislike using the pill as it does not address long-term regulation of PCOS, it addresses a short term 'fix'. Everyone knows that you shouldn't take the pill over a long period of time so it's kind of a bad suggestion as I see it.

Anyhow, there has been much in the news and online recently about addressing the regulation of insulin to combat the issue that causes this condition. Never wanting to buy the pills and potions that claim to be able to rid you of PCOS, I've put off doing much about it and just suffered along like other women do. I certainly don't go to the doctor/gyno for it anymore as they haven't got a clue or they just haven't researched in detail for themselves to find a way to actually help their patients who have it.

Tonight however I found a system of management for PCOS that may actually be useful. It makes sense to me that it is not just a "one pill" system and that it doesn't promise that magic will occur in a short period of time.

The only thing that concerns me is that I don't want to get pregnant. Scotty and I are very involved with our adoption process, on an emotional level, and are very ready for our child to arrive so we would be disappointed if something were to interrupt that plan. We have never believed that having a bio child is desirable over having an adopted child. It is just not necessary for us as a couple. As a women, I have different thoughts to a lot of other women on this point. A friend or two, who have their own bio kids, have expressed their desire for me to 'experience pregnancy and childbirth'.

Needing to step lightly here as not to offend, I will just say that this is only my personal view and not a judgement on those who have/want to have bio kids of their own ... this reflects to me that one's own personal desire (to be pregnant and experience birthing) is more important than the needs of a living, breathing child (already in the world) having a family of their own when currently they do not. I just don't think my own experience of being pregnant is important when there are children in the world who I will love just as much as a bio child from my body. The fact that our adopted child will not look like us in any way or who does not share our 'genes' is not even a consideration I feel is of importance.

Scott and I have talked long and often about this fact prior to starting our adoption. This is not a decision that we make with any intentions of 'saving' anyone or being 'honourable' or 'kind-hearted'. I abhor those sentiments intensely - how egotistical they are.

'It's every child's right to have a family, a home and the unconditional love of a parent/parents' ... that is our opinion and if we had the financial capability, we would adopt quite a few more children before our family was complete.

I digress ... I don't want to be pregnant was my point and all that, as above, is why. I just want to be free of unpredictable cycles. There are so many women in the world who have PCOS and just live with the symptons every day. Granted, it's not cancer or anything serious like that.

It's just freakin' annoying and, at times, painful and if I can get rid of it or minimize it, I will.